top of page

Orange County Historic Museum Open For 2024 Season

Orange County Historic Museum

Artifacts and items of 200 years historical significance from Orange County are on display and open to the public at the Orange County Historic Museum, located on the northwest Corner of the historic Courthouse Square in Paoli.


Presently, the Museum is now open to visitors for its 2024 Season most Fridays and Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Other times are available by appointment. No admission is charged although donations are accepted to help maintain the museum and historic collection.


Maintained by the Orange County Historical Society (OCHS) since 1976, visitors will find memorabilia of the Orange County communities through the years including rare items associated with the OC Courthouse, early county artifacts, household items, antique clothing, military display, primitive farm tools and woodworking tools, history of the Dailey Rocker, church and school memorabilia, and a rare miniature English Tudor dollhouse with furnishings.


The museum is housed in what was once the private residence of Dr. J.H. Sherrod and his family, circa 1885. This was the last private residence to remain on the Courthouses Square.


Don’t miss the turn of the century school room displayed upstairs, a recreation of a typical township school at the turn of the 20th Century is re-created upstairs at the museum, along with a period Doctor’s office.


The OCHS also maintains a small gift shop on the lower level of the Museum with a variety of historic books, publications, and keepsakes linked to Orange County.


In addition to the Museum, OCHS also owns and maintains the historic Thomas Elwood Lindley House. The home, circa 1852, was built on land granted in 1812 to Jonathan Lindley when he left North Carolina to settle in Orange County. Jonathan was the grandfather of Thomas Elwood Lindley (1825-1900), an influential Quaker. He served in the State Legislature at Indiana’s first Capitol in Corydon. The house is restored in part to reflect the period 1860-1869 when it was used as a farm home.


The old farmhouse, located just off the Hwy. 150 West on Willow Creek Rd. in Paoli is available for tours in season by appointment only.


For more information on the OCHS, its activities or to arrange for a group tour of either the Museum and/or Lindley House please contact President Robert F. Henderson, 812 653-1212 or email

6 views0 comments


bottom of page